Stop what you’re doing and look at this. Banded, backlit and beautiful, this verdant view of Saturn - just released by CICLOPS - is one of the most remarkable images of the planet ever captured by NASA’s Cassini spacecraft.
The mosaic we are releasing today does not contain Earth: Along with the sun, our planet is hidden behind Saturn. However, it was taken when Cassini was closer to Saturn and therefore shows more detail in the rings than the one from six years ago. It also is displayed as it truly is, in false-color … leaving a rather eerie and surreal impression on the viewer.
Of all the many glorious images we have received from Saturn, none are more strikingly unusual than those we have taken from Saturn’s shadow. They unveil a rare splendor seldom seen anywhere else in our solar system.
This one is our special gift to you, the people of the world, in this holiday season that brings to a close the year 2012. We fervently hope it serves as a reminder that we humans, though troubled and warlike, are also the dreamers, thinkers, and explorers inhabiting one achingly beautiful planet, yearning for the sublime, and capable of the magnificent. We hope it reminds you to protect our planet with all your might and cherish the life it so naturally sustains.
From all of us on Cassini, the happiest of holidays to everyone.
Absolutely remarkable. Bear in mind: views like this are only possible while the Sun is positionedbehind Saturn, relative to Cassini’s position. “The last time Cassini captured a view like this was in Sept. 2006,” explains the Cassini imaging team, “when it captured a mosaic processed to look like natural color, entitled In Saturn’s Shadow-The Pale Blue Dot’”:
"In that mosaic," the Cassini team notes, "planet Earth put in a special appearance, making ‘In Saturn’s Shadow’ one of the most popular Cassini images to date." As Porco noted in her Captain’s Log, Earth is hidden from view in the this, the latest backlit view of the ringed planet; but we suspect the image’s unprecedented detail and eerie, otherworldly hues will make it every bit as popular, in the long run, as its predecessor.
Read more about the image over at CICLOPS, where you’ll also find links to hi-res versions of the image.
240 Notes/ Hide
- niacanialla reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- malandarras likes this
- hiddenprince44 reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- iturnedintoatree reblogged this from astrotastic
- shootinguplove likes this
- scarele reblogged this from apeacebone
- madam-eglentyne reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- gallagangster reblogged this from awkdinosaur
- awkdinosaur reblogged this from teabooksandchocolate
- teabooksandchocolate reblogged this from eaterevans
- boarhound reblogged this from eaterevans
- phiretulip reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- theonaye likes this
- wanderingtsundere likes this
- box-o-awesome likes this
- fus-ro-butts reblogged this from xdontblinkx
- featherlightheart likes this
- mnmminifunsized likes this
- byowllight likes this
- kaiyves reblogged this from project-argus and added:
- kaiyves likes this
- mamaatheist reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- themoderat likes this
- dreambreathefly reblogged this from jasminecxo
- mollynosebleed likes this
- daedalus55 likes this
- earlblue likes this
- earlblue reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- captxandri reblogged this from project-argus
- emysabath reblogged this from dearace
- dearace reblogged this from a-rainbow-flamingo
- captxandri likes this
- cervvselaphvs reblogged this from project-argus
- cervvselaphvs likes this
- shouldvejustsaveditonaworddoc likes this
- roquefortslaw likes this
- lenon01 likes this
- gallifreyanphd likes this
- setwings likes this
- heabuh reblogged this from project-argus
- project-argus reblogged this from astrotastic
- renton-thurston-remade reblogged this from ertysaysmoof
- ertysaysmoof reblogged this from whomville
- ertysaysmoof likes this
- swift-as-a-weeping-angel reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- whomville reblogged this from crownedrose
- theseagoat likes this
- allahlike likes this
- mirime-veon reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff